We are proud to announce that we have joined the UNFCCC’s Sports for Climate Action Initiative as a signatory to the Sports for Climate Action Framework.
The Sports for Climate Action Initiative calls on sporting organisations to acknowledge the contribution of the sports sector to climate change and our responsibility to strive towards climate neutrality for a safer planet.
Through collective action and bold leadership, we have the power to make this fast and drastic transformation. By signing the Framework, we have demonstrated our commitment to playing our part to ensure the sports sector is on the path to a low-carbon future.
In line with the five core principles enshrined in the Framework and the aims of the Paris Agreement, our organisation will strive to:
1) Promote greater environmental responsibility
2) Reduce the overall climate impact from sports
3) Use our platform to educate for climate action
4) Promote sustainable and responsible consumption
5) Advocate for climate action through our communications.
Speaking at the launch event for the Framework, UNFCCC Executive Secretary, Patricia Espinosa explained that sports organisations and athletes are in a unique position in the race against climate change “because sports touches on every cross-section of society”.
With this in mind, we hope our commitment will inspire our supporters, fellow football clubs, community and government to raise their climate ambition in a united effort to limit global warming to 1.5oC.
This is a race we can—and must—win to avoid significantly worsening the risk of droughts, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
In order to enforce our commitment, we taken the following actions immediately:
- Reduce our plastic consumption:
-By moving over from the sale of plastic water bottles to Spring Water in an Eco-Friendly BPA free plant-based bottles
-By moving from plastic pint and half pint glasses to biodegradable PP Flexy Plastic beer tumblers
- Using Bio Recyclable catering products
- Upgrading our old standard tube lighting to low consumption LED, throughout the stadium
- Upgrading our clubhouse heating system to Eco-friendly and energy-saving fully ERP Lot 20 compliant wall heaters
- Our used cooking oils are collected by Adur Cooking Oils who comply with Environment Agency rules and regs www.adurcookingoils.co.uk
- Our electricity supplier is now, 100% green energy supplier Octopus Energy All the energy we consume at the stadium is totally carbon zero.
- Recycling bins placed all around the stadium
- Eco-friendly pitch maintenance products- We use a 98.6% plant based, sustainable bio-degradable white liner for all our pitch markings
- Vvegan alternatives in our café. See our wonderful Vegan Menu by clicking here
- Phasing out our petrol pitch maintenance equipment. Click here to see whats we have change so far
- Off-setting supporters carbon footprint on match days, when supporters provide proof of using public transport, cycling or driving using an EV to the ground (See match-day page for full details)
- Sourcing locally grown organic produce for use in our cafe
- Stop using polystyrene catering products with immediate affect
- Installation of a water recycling system to use on our main pitch
- We have installed a cycle park in the stadium, so supporters can park their cycles securely
- Planning into upgrading our stadium floodlights to low consumption LED alternative. We are currently working on suppliers regarding this
In the coming months we will strive to reduce our carbon footprint even further with the help from our community and the UNFCCC. Our latest reports are available by clicking here
You can view our environmental policy by clicking here
To read our club statement on climate change click here